For just the third time in its history, World Monuments Fund has a new leader. Joshua David, Co-Founder and former President of New York’s Friends of the High Line, will succeed retiring WMF President Bonnie Burnham in November 2015.
The final phase of Coventry Cathedral’s major project to conserve the ruins of St Michael’s Cathedral is now complete. Five years after a dangerous crack in the stonework was first discovered, the medieval ruins have been fully stabilised and repaired in partnership with World Monuments Fund Britain.
The UK Government’s decision to ratify the 1954 Hague Convention has been welcomed by World Monuments Fund Britain at a time when some of the most treasured cultural heritage sites are at risk. The convention was set up after World War II to protect artefacts in war zones and the UK joins more than 115 countries that already sign up to the agreement.
Christ Church Cathedral in Stone Town, Zanzibar, was built by British missionaries in 1879 on the location of the last permanent slave market in East Africa and is a site of international historic and cultural significance.
Click on the images below to open the gallery lightbox viewer. You can use either the left, right keys on your keyboard or click the image to go to the next picture.
Stowe Lions image gallery
Restoration of Stowe's Eastern Pavilion
Latest film release
Heritage & Conflict: Syria’s Battle to Protect its Past
We welcome Prof. Maamoun Abdulkarim, Director-General of Antiquities and Museums for Syria to give the human story from behind the headlines. Plus hear from James Davis from the Google Cultural Institute to report on the latest efforts to record our cultural heritage.
Royal Geographical Society, London
- Sunday 9/6 is the last day to see the exhibition @SpringsPreserve https://t.co/SV2PeVuYqz 16 hrs ago
- We worked with @AmericanExpress to create virtual tours of Venice and Rome. Have you been to any of these sites? http://t.co/HAjNDtQ61d 20 hrs ago
- RT @JohnD_WMFB: Great views of St Paul's Cathedral today @StPaulsLondon @WorldMonuments has supported projects in Wren's masterpiece http:… 20 hrs ago
- RT @guardian: Isis’s destruction of Palmyra: ‘The heart has been ripped out of the city' http://t.co/n6Vo1dEgFv 1 day, 14 hrs ago
- RT @IrinaBokova: Destruction of #Palmyra is an intolerable crime against civilization but 4,500 years of history will never be erased http:… 2 days, 13 hrs ago