For just the third time in its history, World Monuments Fund has a new leader. Joshua David, Co-Founder and former President of New York’s Friends of the High Line, will succeed retiring WMF President Bonnie Burnham in November 2015.
The final phase of Coventry Cathedral’s major project to conserve the ruins of St Michael’s Cathedral is now complete. Five years after a dangerous crack in the stonework was first discovered, the medieval ruins have been fully stabilised and repaired in partnership with World Monuments Fund Britain.
The UK Government’s decision to ratify the 1954 Hague Convention has been welcomed by World Monuments Fund Britain at a time when some of the most treasured cultural heritage sites are at risk. The convention was set up after World War II to protect artefacts in war zones and the UK joins more than 115 countries that already sign up to the agreement.
Christ Church Cathedral in Stone Town, Zanzibar, was built by British missionaries in 1879 on the location of the last permanent slave market in East Africa and is a site of international historic and cultural significance.
Click on the images below to open the gallery lightbox viewer. You can use either the left, right keys on your keyboard or click the image to go to the next picture.
Stowe Lions image gallery
Restoration of Stowe's Eastern Pavilion
Latest film release
- A World Monuments Watch success story! Romania's Great Synagogue of Iasi: http://t.co/NivcB8SfFw http://t.co/oFCZcS0Llg 14 hrs ago
- Many of the sites included in this @CNN photo essay have been on our World Monuments Watch: http://t.co/AlyZA9TwAO 1 day, 13 hrs ago
- WMF continues conservation work at Qusayr ‘Amra, a residence built in the early 8th century: http://t.co/B5qm4SQ5gO http://t.co/mPwxXGWczT 6 days, 8 hrs ago
- RT @JohnD_WMFB: Just passing a beautifully restored St George's, Bloomsbury another @WorldMonuments Britain conservation project http://t.c… 6 days, 13 hrs ago
- RT @JohnD_WMFB: How's this for a view from your front door Today has been a Stowe day. An amazing place supported by @WorldMonuments http:… 7 days, 11 hrs ago