WMFB’s touring exhibition on our major EU-funded project at Christ Church Cathedral in Zanzibar will be on display at its final venue, Dr Johnson’s House in London, from January 13 to March 29, 2016.
On Thursday 12th November we welcomed Prof. Maamoun Abdulkarim, Director-General of Museums and Antiquities for Syria, in his first visit to the UK, to talk about the devastating loss of cultural heritage and looting in the region.
Wentworth Woodhouse near Rotherham, Yorkshire, and Moseley Road Baths in Birmingham were named as the UK sites on the 2016 World Monuments Watch. Marking 20 years of World Monuments Fund’s flagship advocacy programme, the 2016 Watch features 50 sites in 36 countries dating from prehistory to the twentieth century.
The tragic loss of ancient heritage in Palmyra and throughout Syria is repeatedly making the headlines. In an exclusive talk by World Monuments Fund Britain, we welcome Prof. Maamoun Abdulkarim, Director-General of Antiquities for Syria, in his first visit to the UK. Come and discover the story behind the headlines
For just the third time in its history, World Monuments Fund has a new leader. Joshua David, Co-Founder and former President of New York’s Friends of the High Line, will succeed retiring WMF President Bonnie Burnham in November 2015.
The UK Government’s decision to ratify the 1954 Hague Convention has been welcomed by World Monuments Fund Britain at a time when some of the most treasured cultural heritage sites are at risk. The convention was set up after World War II to protect artefacts in war zones and the UK joins more than 115 countries that already sign up to the agreement.
Click on the images below to open the gallery lightbox viewer. You can use either the left, right keys on your keyboard or click the image to go to the next picture.
Stowe Lions image gallery
Restoration of Stowe's Eastern Pavilion
Latest film release
- @calvertjournal highlights the work of Russian photog Danila Tkachenko in "Snow Ghosts." Haunting and beautiful. https://t.co/mgV50oJXqG 15 hrs ago
- @SAVEBrit drops case against Associated British Ports. Demolition of Grimsby docks likely. https://t.co/nfjT86i3u7 1 day, 14 hrs ago
- Getty Magazine features @archesproject, an open source heritage management system created by WMF and GCI https://t.co/nM3DltsGYN 1 day, 20 hrs ago
- #Heritage groups shocked and dismayed by fire at #historic Vernon Mount, likely caused by trespassers. https://t.co/vIlJKo9RfU 2 days, 13 hrs ago
- Overnight fire ravages Vernon Mount in County Cork, Ireland. The #historic property was a 2008 WM Watch site. https://t.co/jQx0EwZpUS 2 days, 21 hrs ago