Four key sites across the UK feature on the 2014 World Monuments Watch, which was announced on October 8th 2013 – a diverse group of 67 important but ailing sites from 41 countries and territories across the world all facing an uncertain future and in need of urgent support. The Watch draws international attention and support for some of the world’s most remarkable and fragile cultural heritage, and the 2014 selection includes Battersea Power Station, Deptford Dockyard and Sayes Court Garden, Grimsby Ice Factory and Sulgrave Manor.
WMF Britain completed its first public art project in the North East of England during the summer of 2013. This community-focused initiative transformed historic buildings across the region into family-friendly artists’ studios complete with children’s art carts and Artists in Residence, and celebrated artwork inspired by the region’s rich heritage in an exhibition at Durham Cathedral.
Giving our Past a Future: The Work of World Monuments Fund, Britain
The work of World Monuments Fund Britain was celebrated in a unique temporary exhibition at the Sir John Soane’s Museum at the end of 2012, which showcased some of the charity’s most significant projects in the last 15 years.
Click on the images below to open the gallery lightbox viewer. You can use either the left, right keys on your keyboard or click the image to go to the next picture.
Stowe Lions image gallery
Restoration of Stowe's Eastern Pavilion
Latest film release
STUDY DAY: St Paul's Cathedral and the City ChurchesBehind the scenes at St Paul's and a walking tour of the beautiful city churches with Gavin Stamp More
STUDY DAY: Highgate CemeteryTalk on the challenges of conserving historic cemeteries in the 21st century followed by a tour of this internationally renowned site in North London. More
- RT @TheArtNewspaper: Ninevah gate and Mosul museum attacked by Islamic State fanatics http://t.co/E6Rjn3Yd1e http://t.co/5tt8Egr74K 6 hrs ago
- Watch our 2015 Paul Mellon Lecture, "#Renaissance and #Baroque #Rome: The Art of Urban Form": https://t.co/voyfAoaTLt #arthistory #travel 8 hrs ago
- A new field dispatch on recent work at #PreahKhan temple at #Angkor: http://t.co/OBijo4T95S #Cambodia #preservation #travel #archaeology 12 hrs ago
- Estaremos aceptando nominaciones al #WorldMonumentsWatch 2016 hasta 1ro marzo. http://t.co/mSh7cjEynk #conservación #patrimoniocultural 1 day, 9 hrs ago
- Since 1996, the #WorldMonumentsWatch has helped hundreds of historic sites. See some success stories: http://t.co/xxn91iOQKt #preservation 1 day, 12 hrs ago