On Thursday 12th November we welcomed Prof. Maamoun Abdulkarim, Director-General of Museums and Antiquities for Syria, in his first visit to the UK, to talk about the devastating loss of cultural heritage and looting in the region.
Wentworth Woodhouse near Rotherham, Yorkshire, and Moseley Road Baths in Birmingham were named as the UK sites on the 2016 World Monuments Watch. Marking 20 years of World Monuments Fund’s flagship advocacy programme, the 2016 Watch features 50 sites in 36 countries dating from prehistory to the twentieth century.
The tragic loss of ancient heritage in Palmyra and throughout Syria is repeatedly making the headlines. In an exclusive talk by World Monuments Fund Britain, we welcome Prof. Maamoun Abdulkarim, Director-General of Antiquities for Syria, in his first visit to the UK. Come and discover the story behind the headlines
For just the third time in its history, World Monuments Fund has a new leader. Joshua David, Co-Founder and former President of New York’s Friends of the High Line, will succeed retiring WMF President Bonnie Burnham in November 2015.
The final phase of Coventry Cathedral’s major project to conserve the ruins of St Michael’s Cathedral is now complete. Five years after a dangerous crack in the stonework was first discovered, the medieval ruins have been fully stabilised and repaired in partnership with World Monuments Fund Britain.
The UK Government’s decision to ratify the 1954 Hague Convention has been welcomed by World Monuments Fund Britain at a time when some of the most treasured cultural heritage sites are at risk. The convention was set up after World War II to protect artefacts in war zones and the UK joins more than 115 countries that already sign up to the agreement.
Click on the images below to open the gallery lightbox viewer. You can use either the left, right keys on your keyboard or click the image to go to the next picture.
Stowe Lions image gallery
Restoration of Stowe's Eastern Pavilion
Latest film release
- As many in the U.S. prepare to celebrate Thanksgiving today, we wanted to share our own message of gratitude! https://t.co/PaCyt4Avs7 4 hrs ago
- WOW! @googlemaps Street View Trek through Petra, a 2016 World Monuments Watch site: https://t.co/Yk9He1UGYq #2016WMWatch 1 day, 22 hrs ago
- RT @JohnD_WMFB: The magnificent interior of St George's Bloomsbury. Now that's a proper chandelier (7ft across) @WorldMonuments https://t.c… 2 days, 1 min, 13 seconds ago
- The bricks on the roof of the School of Ballet in Cuba are falling off: https://t.co/fMDGz2ULqp #2016WMWatch https://t.co/5lEIeD3pch 2 days, 1 hr ago
- Wentworth Woodhouse is on the 2016 World Monuments Watch. https://t.co/2KyRpmCyqE 3 days, 2 hrs ago