The Beasts of Bloomsbury roar again
Nicholas Hawksmoor, protégé of Sir Christopher Wren, built six churches resulting from the 1711 Act of Parliament which demanded ‘50 new churches in London.’ His most idiosyncratic work marries baroque splendour with classical references and is topped by the most eccentric spire in London.
Sometimes what one takes away is as important as what one puts back. The largest project undertaken by WMF Britain was about making difficult but informed choices. On a project of this scale, we needed to secure the full support of the Parish Council and national and diocesan church authorities, as well as other heritage groups. Read more
St George's, Bloomsbury, was consecrated on January 28, 1730, by Edmund Gibson, Bishop of London. During the next 50 years, it underwent several significant interior alterations to accommodate a growing parish, concluding with the complete change of the orientation of the nave from east-west to north-south in 1780.
Click on the image below to open the gallery lightbox viewer. You can use either the left, right keys on your keyboard or click the image to go to the next picture.
New light for St George’s Bloomsbury
St George’s Bloomsbury gets some new illuminations just in time for Christmas with a seventeenth-century chandelier, kindly loaned to the church by the Victoria and Albert Museum, taking centre stage.
One of London’s more characterful corners and a work of blinding originality, raw emotion and interesting symbolism.
Hugh Pearman, The Sunday Times
Lat: 51.517648, Lon: -0.124986
Visit http://www.stgeorgesbloomsbury.org.uk for opening hours
Location: Five minutes’ walk east of Tottenham Court Road Tube station, near the British Museum.
Project dates: 2002-2008
WMF Britain project cost: £9.2 million
Watch List: Listed in 2002
Key Funders: The Paul Mellon Estate, the Heritage Lottery Fund, The Robert W. Wilson Challenge to Conserve Our Heritage and English Heritage/HLF Joint Places of Worship Scheme and others
Awards: The Georgian Group Restoration of a Georgian Church Award 2006, and the Natural Stone Award Craftsmanship Category 2006
Project architects - Molyneux Kerr
Management services - were provided by Gardiner & Theobald
Main contractor - was the special projects division of Wallis,
part of the Kier Group plc.
Other specialist contractors - included Tankerdale Ltd, Fairhaven of Anglesey Abbey, Cliveden Conservation Workshop Ltd, St Blaise Ltd, David Ball Restoration Limited and Sinclair Johnston and Partners Limited, Consulting Structural Engineers.